For the past week or so, Spooks has been my makan buddy. I just finished watching Season One of this BBC spy thriller that's also known as MI:5 in the American market. While it started out rather unimpressive, the series got progressively more interesting as they began to explore the ethical and practical problems of secret agent work. So there go all the James Bond fantasies. I remember in grade school, two of the hottest books around were The Usborne Spy's Guidebook and The Usborne Detective's Handbook. I had the latter though I always pined for the former. (Interestingly, the Spy's Guidebook has since been updated while the Detective's Handbook hasn't)Once upon a time, I actually thought it would be pretty exciting if a lot of people were alwats trying to kill you (I think this was after having watched Total Recall). It does give you a sick sense of importance eh? Of course that's only cool if these people never succeed in getting to you or your loved ones, and that for some reason paranoia doesn't drive you mad in the first place. See any Hong Kong cop movie for a crash course on the dangers of being a policeman and having a family/girlfriend.

No comments:
Post a Comment