Some of you may remember this series of army posters. Today I was filled with nostalgia for Nanyang Primary School (I also dunno why) and in my random search online, I ran into this site with some of these of not-so-patriotic taglines. In my opinion, army wasn't really all that terrible. In between rushing to wait and waiting to rush, I think I actually learnt a great deal from the whole experience. If anything, it gives most Singaporean males something common to talk about, and that in itself is a very powerful thing.Wednesday, April 12, 2006
Army 21 Redux
Some of you may remember this series of army posters. Today I was filled with nostalgia for Nanyang Primary School (I also dunno why) and in my random search online, I ran into this site with some of these of not-so-patriotic taglines. In my opinion, army wasn't really all that terrible. In between rushing to wait and waiting to rush, I think I actually learnt a great deal from the whole experience. If anything, it gives most Singaporean males something common to talk about, and that in itself is a very powerful thing.
1 comment:
Dude..I agree with you that my time in army was definitely time well-spent. But I think that has a big part to do with our rank. The higher the rank, the more responsibility we get, and naturally more opportunity to learn and grow. The same can't really be said for most of my friends who got lower ranks. And it's a great pity to see them lose their desire to serve the country. Bottom line is that the Army has failed to a large extent to truly honor each and every soldier (regardless of their ranks). When they make you feel like an "expendable" who'd expire in 2 years, you'd certainly lose heart. What we need is a total change in mindset in how we treat each NSF, THROUGHOUT the entire 2 yrs of service...
Post a Comment