Sunday, April 30, 2006

Chinjeolhan geumjassi

I just watched this movie that my Chinese tutor lent me called Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. When I popped the DVD in, I had no idea what to expect. The opening scenes were kind've strange, very melodramatic and generally not too amazing. However, as the plot thickened, things got interesting, and alot, ALOT more dark. The tale begins as we see our main character, Geum-ja, being released from having spent 13 years in prison for kidnapping and killing a young boy when she was 19. We soon find out that she was actually taking the fall for a crime she did not commit and is now hell-bent on getting her revenge. This is Battle Royale meets Old Boy (incidentally, the director of this movie directed Old Boy too) and certainly not for people who don't like seeing blood. Having said that, I think the film comes off as somewhat disjointed, but the dark humor is right on key.

4 comments:

Michael Cho said...

wow dude...i love Battle Royale and I adore Old Boy!!! I'm definitely watchin this one once i'm done with this school nonsense...anyway, since we're talking about bloody movies...have you watched "Ichi the Killer"? It's by far the most visually shocking film I've seen for a while...

Marcus said...

nope, but i think i have it at home somewhere. "visually shocking" = shouldn't watch?

J Schnorng said...

this is the last part of the vengeance trilogy, actually, which old boy is also a part of. the first movie in the series is sympathy for mister vengeance, followed by old boy.

they're thematically related. it's one of THOSE trilogies.

Marcus said...

yup, i found that out a couple of days back from the friend who lent me the dvd. i wonder why mister vengeance didn't catch on... or maybe it did and i just don't know :P