I watched A History of Violence today and found it rather disappointing. After having got 87% by Rotten Tomato standards, I was expecting much more from this film. As one critic has pointed out, this film essentially lacks a solid plot. It has an interesting, albeit somewhat implausible, premise, but then fails to find coherence as a feature-length film. As our "hero" transitions between small-town family man to the incredible hulk, I was left wondering at the end, "ok so what was the point of all that?" Fair enough, you could probably extract profound meaning from the film in seeing it as a social commentary on violence, etc. etc., but like Diana said in her criticism of Be With Me, if you have to work so hard to try and tie everything together, perhaps the parts don't really fit in the first place. In this vein, A History of Violence probably would have worked better had it been made as a short film.Monday, March 13, 2006
A History of Huh?
I watched A History of Violence today and found it rather disappointing. After having got 87% by Rotten Tomato standards, I was expecting much more from this film. As one critic has pointed out, this film essentially lacks a solid plot. It has an interesting, albeit somewhat implausible, premise, but then fails to find coherence as a feature-length film. As our "hero" transitions between small-town family man to the incredible hulk, I was left wondering at the end, "ok so what was the point of all that?" Fair enough, you could probably extract profound meaning from the film in seeing it as a social commentary on violence, etc. etc., but like Diana said in her criticism of Be With Me, if you have to work so hard to try and tie everything together, perhaps the parts don't really fit in the first place. In this vein, A History of Violence probably would have worked better had it been made as a short film.
1 comment:
i agree. i saw that movie a long time ago and i have to say it was probably the worst movie i saw of the year. well, maybe next to ong-bak. but it sure was violent...
Post a Comment