Yesterday I attended the first Ash Wednesday service (as far I can remember). Ash Wednesday is the beginning of Lent, a season of "giving up and giving out", during which, to put it in simple terms, you give up something that you value and enter into a period of repentence, kind've like doing spring cleaning on your soul. At the same time, you engage in charity work and be especially mindful of those in need around you. Unlike the Catholic interpretation, the Protestant Church tends to view Lent more of a choice, rather than an obligation.
This is the first year that I am attempting to engage in some form of abstinence during the Lenten season. I had initially thought about going vegetarian, but after careful consideration, I think it might be a little too ambitious given the circumstances. So after much thought, I've decided to give up "internet streaming video". That may sound rather anti-climatic, but if you knew my diet of youtube.com, ihaveanidea.org, i-am-bored.com, video.google.com, etc. etc., you will understand that this is a pretty big indulgence of mine. For me, giving up chocolate, desserts, tv, anime, shopping, korean dramas, etc. is pretty easy so we'll see how this goes. Hopefully I'll eventually work my way up to 40 days of vegetarianism (*gulp!*)
This is the first year that I am attempting to engage in some form of abstinence during the Lenten season. I had initially thought about going vegetarian, but after careful consideration, I think it might be a little too ambitious given the circumstances. So after much thought, I've decided to give up "internet streaming video". That may sound rather anti-climatic, but if you knew my diet of youtube.com, ihaveanidea.org, i-am-bored.com, video.google.com, etc. etc., you will understand that this is a pretty big indulgence of mine. For me, giving up chocolate, desserts, tv, anime, shopping, korean dramas, etc. is pretty easy so we'll see how this goes. Hopefully I'll eventually work my way up to 40 days of vegetarianism (*gulp!*)

1 comment:
YAY! :)
Post a Comment