Thursday, March 09, 2006

The World is a Vampire

I tried to donate blood today for the second time in 2 years, and for the second time, my blood was rejected. It seems that amount you travel is negatively correlated to the acceptability of your blood. Previously the folks in Singapore didn't want my blood coz I had consumed malaria pills within the past 6 months. That's seems kind've ridiculous considering that the whole of Pulau Tekong, and anyone else who goes there, would thus be rejected.

This time round, I had to go on a flashback tour of my gallivanting in the past 2 years. For a brief moment, they wanted to reject me because I went to Singapore! Anyhow, eventually I got rejected because apparently Oaxaca is on the danger list and I had 1 month to go before I was certified disease free. :P

It is nonetheless intruiging that there is no way to detect malaria in donated blood (or at least no cheap way). While I was at the donation center, I saw alot of people get turned away because of travel history. Apparently if you've been in Europe for 3 months, you're out. Bizarre!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whoa you used the word gallivanting! i'm so proud of you!! :) tee hee.