Monday, May 29, 2006

Washington DC

After having spent the past 4 years in the US, I thought it would be rather silly if I never visited the nation's capital before heading back to the motherland. It turned out to be a pretty good time to go down to DC coz it's Memorial Day weekend, so the city was filled with lots've Vietnam veterans walking around proudly displaying their military patches and other paraphernalia. My trip was made all the more awesome by my gracious hosts Wayne and Jason, whom I stayed with on different days.

All in all, DC is a rather exhausting place to visit if you don't have much time because there's simply so much to see. The Smithsonian museums alone would occupy a couple of days if you actually took the time to read the information next to the exhibits (I sped through millions of years of evolution in some 5 minutes). The major memorials are all pretty spread out too and I would recommend buying a Tourmobile pass from Union Station or any of their busstops. This would allow you to hop on and off a shuttle service thats hits all the major monuments. Washington is certainly filled with memorials, but I think the sad thing is that in the process of becoming tourist attractions, these memorials do lose some degree of the reverance that should be associated with them.

No comments: