Sunday, May 21, 2006

Firewall

Just spent the past hour and forty minutes following Harrison Ford's attempt to relive his action hero days and give Jack Bauer a run for his money. Despite terrible reviews, I found Firewall to be sufficiently interesting and engaging despite the somewhat ridiculous storyline (willing suspension of disbelief eh?). Honestly, I much preferred this to Capote, but that's just my low-brow taste. Ford plays Jack Stanfield, security specialist at a Seattle bank. His home is soon overtaken by evil men who force him to hack into his own bank's computer system and transfer some huge sum of money into an off-shore account.

Anyhow, one thought that did cross my mind as I watched the film's climax was how evil masterminds in movies tend to also have some kick-ass martial arts abilities up their sleeves as well. What are the odds that this brilliant guy who is able to devise this crafty scheme is also some kung fu expert. Unlike the villains in computer games, I would expect a real mastermind to be someone physically less capable. If you spend all your time thinking of evil plots, where do you find time to go practice your wu shu? Think Napoleon: brilliant strategist and leader, but probably crappy street fighter. There is a difference between being ruthless and having lightning reflexes.

2 comments:

Visual Cacophony said...

Movie lar dude...

Marcus said...

Haha, I know. Just wanted to know my options in case some evil dude forced me to do some nasty stuff in a bank. I think kung fu lessons are in order :P